Second Life is used as a platform for education by many institutions, such as colleges, universities, libraries and government entities.
Impact and current status
Real Life Education in Second Life. Members: 4919 Founder: Pathfinder Lester. Open Enrollment This is a group for real life educators and academics using Second Life for real life education and research. Please use this group to find collaborators, ask questions, and share information about upcoming educational events. Second Life & Education Educational Benefits of Second Life SL offers numerous conveniences for learners. Second Life and higher education According to Gronstedt (2007), hundreds of colleges and universities are currently teaching classes in Second Life as well, and Linden Labs actively supports the use of Second Life for educational purposes (Linden Research, Inc., 2008). Undergraduate and graduate-level instructional activities abound in Second Life.
There are over one hundred regions used for educational purposes covering subjects such as chemistry and English. Instructors and researchers in Second Life favor it because it is more personal than traditional distance learning. Research published in 2007 suggested that development, teaching and/or learning activities using Second Life were present in over 80 percent of UK universities. As of 2008, at least 300 universities around the world teach courses or conduct research in SL. New educational institutions have also emerged that operate exclusively within Second Life, taking advantage of the platform to deliver content to a worldwide audience at low cost.
Info Islands uses library programming sponsored by the Illinois' Alliance Library System and OPAL currently offered online to librarians and library users within Second Life. Another virtual continent called SciLands is devoted to science and technology education. While initially centered on the International Spaceflight Museum, it now hosts a number of organizations including NASA, NOAA, NIH, JPL, NPR, National Physical Laboratory, UK, and a host of other government agencies, universities, and museums. In December 2008, the United States Air Force launched MyBase, a Second Life island overseen by the Air Education and Training Command.
Second Life's usefulness as a platform for pre-K–12 education is limited due to the age restrictions on the main grid and the difficulties of collaborating among various educational projects on the teen grid.
Ernst & Young made a $500,000 donation to the North Carolina State University Accounting Department to implement Second Life into the curriculum in 2009. This funding was utilized by Frank A Buckless along with Mr. Scott Showalter and Dr. Kathy Krawczyk to create a virtual warehouse for their students to audit. The data collected from this study showed that students improved 'inventory observation knowledge, interviewing, audit documentation, critical thinking, and group work skills'. This project follows incorporation of cost and financial accounting activities in virtual environments.
Language learning is the most widespread type of education in virtual worlds,
Second life has been utilized in nursing education to provide meaningful care experience without risk to patients.
Dr. Constance M. Johnson received a R21 award to evaluate the feasibility and acceptability of using a virtual environment to provide self-management interventions to people with type 2 diabetes.
Dr. Estelle Codier (University of Hawaii) received a National League for Nursing grant award to study learning outcomes for student nurses in Second Life. Her book, 'Teaching Healthcare in Virtual Space: Best Practices for Educators in Multi-User Virtual Environments' provides an outline of the pedagogical basis for teaching in MUVE, as well as chapters on development of MUVE teaching skills and others on how to develop learning activities in Second Life. July, 2016.
Ban of educational institution
Second Life has twice, in 2007 and 2010, banned a California educational institution, Woodbury University, from having a representation within Second Life. On 20 April 2010 four simulators belonging to the university were deleted and the accounts of several students and professors terminated, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education. Dr. Edward Clift, the dean of Woodbury University's School of Media, Culture and Design, stated that their campus 'was a living, breathing campus in Second Life', that included educational spaces designed mostly by students, including a mock representation of the former Soviet Union and a replica of the Berlin Wall. As Dr. Clift told The Chronicle of Higher Education, the virtual campus did not 'conform to what Linden Lab wanted a campus to be'. Linden Lab said their decision to ban Woodbury University in April 2010 was 'based on historical and recent events that constitute a breach of the Second Life community standards and terms of service.'
The university has since moved to a separate, dedicated OpenSimulator grid.
Second Life Educators
- Main Article: Annabeth Robinson
Second Life Education
Annabeth Robinson is a Second Life performer and educator who lectures at Leeds College of Art. She develops tools and techniques for improving virtual environment education including the widely used MetaLab Whiteboard. '
Robin Winter aka Shukran Fahid / Shukran Serendipity has worked with several organisations including Immersive Education and Imperial College to produce a number of training programmes for schools, universities, the NHS and the Ministry of Defense using both Second Life and Open Sim. Currently the CEO of Warm Winter Arts, he is bringing virtualisation into mobile applications and biological sciences.
Second Life In Higher Education
Dr. Estelle Codier is an associate professor at the University of Hawaii who has supervised over 500 health care learning activities in Second Life. Her book, 'Teaching Healthcare in Second Life: Best Practices for Educators in Multi User Virtual Environments' outlines a pedagogical basis for teaching in Second Life and provides guidelines for developing teaching skills and learning activities in MUVE. July, 2016.
- ^'Chemistry in Second Life'. Slusage.com. Archived from the original on 2010-03-23. Retrieved 2010-02-19.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'A Real School in Second Life'. Languagelab.com. Retrieved 2010-02-19.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'English Literature in Second Life'. Literaturealive.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2010-02-19.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Lagorio, Christine (2007-01-07). 'The Ultimate Distance Learning'. The New York Times. Retrieved 2007-02-14.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Kirriemuir, John (2007-05-05). 'Snapshots of Second Life use in UK HE and FE'. Eduserv Foundation. Archived from the original on 2008-07-24. Retrieved 2008-08-04.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Michels, Patrick (2008-02-16). 'Universities Use Second Life to Teach Complex Concepts'. Government Technology. Retrieved 2008-11-15.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Erard, Michael (2007-04-10). 'A Boon to Second Life Language Schools'. Education. Retrieved 2008-11-19.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Cowan, Matt (2008-10-10). 'The 'second wave' of Second Life'. News. Retrieved 2008-11-19.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'AETC opens virtual doors to MyBase'. Af.mil. Retrieved 2009-03-08.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Staff (Feb 2, 2009). 'Ernst & Young grants money to NCSU for Second Life'. Retrieved 2016-04-11.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Khanna, Samiha (2016-02-09). 'Research Spotlight: Virtual reality makes auditing come to life: Using Second Life in the classroom gives students hands-on experience'. American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Retrieved 2016-04-11.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Buckless, Frank; Krawczyk, Kathy; Showalter, Scott. (Mar 2012). 'Accounting Education in the Second Life World'. The CPA Journal: 65–71. Retrieved 2016-04-11.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Buckless, Frank A.; Krawczyk, Kathy; Showalter, D. Scott (2014). 'Using Virtual Worlds to Simulate Real-World Audit Procedures'. Issues in Accounting Education. 29 (3): 389–417. doi:10.2308/iace-50785. ISSN0739-3172.
- ^Wilson, Richard M.S. (29 April 2014). The Routledge Companion to Accounting Education. Routledge. pp. 273–. ISBN978-1-134-51151-8.
- ^Rennie, Frank; Morrison, Tara (4 January 2013). E-Learning and Social Networking Handbook: Resources for Higher Education. Routledge. p. 118. ISBN978-1-136-32018-7.
- ^'8D Taps Language Learners, Bots, Microtransactions'. Virtual World News. 2009-05-29. Archived from the original on 2009-06-01. Retrieved 2009-06-22.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Tiffany, Jone; Hoglund, Barbara A. (2014). 'Teaching/Learning in Second Life: Perspectives of Future Nurse-Educators'. Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 10 (1): e19–e24. doi:10.1016/j.ecns.2013.06.006. ISSN1876-1399.
- ^Vorderstrasse A, Shaw RJ, Blascovich J, Johnson CM (2014). 'A theoretical framework for a virtual diabetes self-management community intervention'. West J Nurs Res. 36 (9): 1222–37. doi:10.1177/0193945913518993. PMC4296559. PMID24451083.
- ^Foster, Andrea L. (July 13, 2007). 'The Death of a Virtual Campus'. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- ^ abYoung, Jeff (April 21, 2010). 'Woodbury U. Banned From Second Life, Again'. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- ^Greer, Jeff (April 22, 2010). 'California College Loses Second Life for a Second Time'. U.S. News & World Report.
- ^'Other Grids'. Blogspot. Retrieved 11 January 2020.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Hiles, J. 'Blended Realities: A Virtual Tour of Education in Second Life'(PDF). Retrieved 30 October 2011.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Kemp, J (2007). Second Life Education Workshop 2007. Second Life Community Convention. CiteSeerX10.1.1.129.6374.
- ^'Virtual Patient And Medical Device Simulation In Second Life'(PDF). Imperial College. Retrieved 11 January 2020.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Teaching Healthcare in Virtual Space'. School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene. University of Hawaii. Retrieved 11 January 2020.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Codier, Estelle( 2016) Teaching Healthcare in Virtual Space: Best Practices for Educators in Multi-User Virtual Environments. University of Hawaii Press: Honolulu.ISBN978-0-8248-5800-1
Second Education Meaning
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Education in Second Life.|